Medical Isotope & Cyclotron Facility, University of Alberta, Edmonton
This project is a repurposing of the former Balmoral Curling Club on South Campus, a building structure which was originally constructed in 1957 and vacant since 2007. The new function of the building is as a research and academic facility that houses both University of Alberta and Alberta Health Services teams working on medical isotope research, and the production of medical isotopes. The medical isotopes produced in the facility will be used locally to diagnose and treat patients with cancer, cardiac, neurological and other diseases.
The functional requirements of the facility include a cyclotron vault, laboratories (cGMP clean rooms, radioisotope, chemistry, research and development, instrumentation), materials handling and administrative offices.
As the Design-Builder, Stuart Olson Dominion Construction Ltd. (SODCL) partnered with HFKS Architects prime consulting team, in order to deliver the project. Working from a Bridging Document, the team completed design development, contract document production, tendering services, demolition, hazardous abatement, construction and renovation, and commissioning.